While pancakes are one of the worst breakfast choices, the recipe below is an exception. Being made with almond meal and coconut flour, these pancakes are grain-free.
In addition, they contain other healthy ingredients such as coconut oil, eggs, and grass-fed butter, meaning that you can indulge without feeling guilty at all. They can be made in advance and eaten as snack too, but make sure you don’t overdo it with the maple syrup.
Coconut Flour Almond Meal Pancakes
Makes about 16 small pancakes
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 4 organic, pastured eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk (raw cow’s or coconut)
- 1-2 tablespoons organic, raw grass-fed butter + more for serving
- pure maple syrup to drizzle (optional)
- Mix all the dry ingredients
- Whisk the wet ingredients: eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and milk
- Heat a skillet, melt the butter, and add a few scoops of batter for dollar pancakes
- Cook for a minute on each side
- Drizzle with maple syrup
New to Coconut Flour? Why It’s a Healthy Alternative
Coconut flour is 14% coconut oil. About 50% if the fat is lauric acid, which is converted into monolaurin by the body. This monoglyceride destroys viruses like herpes, HPV, measles, protozoa, and influenza.
Coconut oil is made of medium chain fats which are easily digested and converted into energy right away rather than being stored as fat.
What Makes the Eggs in This Recipe So Important
Eggs are packed with fat and protein as well as antioxidants like zeaxanthin and lutein. When cooking with coconut flour, you can freely add eggs to the recipe. Given that coconut flour is gluten-free, eggs help the ingredients stick together.
Feel Free to Slather on the Butter
Refined carbs, processed foods, and sugar are the real enemy, not the fats in eggs or butter. In fact, butter provides both short-term and long-term benefits. According to a Swedish study, fat levels in the blood are lower after eating a meal high in butter compared to after eating one high in flaxseed or olive oil. Butter is an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamin A, and vitamin K, too.
How to Make Your Own Almond Meal
This recipe also calls for almond meal, which can be found pre-made. However, it is recommended to make it at home, as this allows you to use high-quality almonds. Almonds` skin is particularly healthy, as it is packed with an antioxidant like flavonoids, phenols, and phenolic acids.
- Soak the almonds for about 12 hours in order to remove the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that can compromise your digestive function. Soaking also stimulates germination, which allows the enzyme inhibitors to be deactivated and promote easier digestion
- Put the almonds in a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder
- Pulse until you get a mixture with fine texture
The post Coconut Flour Almond Meal Pancakes appeared first on Best Healthy Guide.